The Marangu route, often referred to as the “Coca Cola” route, was the first established trail on the mountain. It is often the cheapest route as it can be completed in 5 days; it is also the only trail that offers huts for sleeping rather than tents.
- Regarded by some as the easiest and shortest route; however, that is misleading as it has the lowest summit rate
- Only trail that offers huts for sleeping, which is great during the rainy season
- Ascends and descends via the same path (Rongai also descends via Marangu Route)
- Widest and most comfortable to walk on (gentle gradients to walk down)
- We highly recommend 6 days for the hike (see below itinerary) but can be shortened to 5 days (however that option is not as good for acclimatization) or extended to 7 days depending on your preference.
Below is a sample itinerary for a 6A�dayA�MaranguA�trek. As described above there are many ways to summit and we can help you design the best route to maximize your ability to safely acclimate to the altitude of Kilimanjaro. Please contact our booking specialists to learn more!
Marangu Gate to Mandara Huts
After breakfast, your guide will meet you at your hotel in Arusha. The morning begins with a drive to Marangu Gate (). Your journey heads to Mandara Huts ( )
Mandara Huts to Horombo Huts
Mandara Huts () to Horombo Huts ( )
Horombo Huts to Kibo Huts
Horombo Huts () to Kibo Huts ( )
Horombo Hut: Acclimatization Day
While it’s possible to do Marangu in 5 days, we strongly recommend taking an extra day to acclimate at Horombo hut, a village of huts on a small plateau. On this day, you’ll do a circular hike for about 4-5 hours toward Mawenzi hut to further help the acclimatization process.
Kibo Huts to Uhuru Peak to Horombo Huts
Kibo Hut () to Uhuru Peak ( ) via Gillman’s Point ( ). Followed by a descent to Horombo Huts ( ) via Kibo Hut.
Horombo Huts to Marangu Gate
Horombo Huts () to Marangu Gate ( )
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare _z() (previously declared in /homepages/12/d285086173/htdocs/pathlighter/wp-content/themes/central/footer.php:3) in /homepages/12/d285086173/htdocs/pathlighter/wp-content/themes/central/footer.php on line 44